Ok time for a little show down on one of the larger problems I face when it comes to writing any content of note. I need to get into a rhythm to write well. I have an entire routine I go through to write term papers, I haven’t needed it in a while but i realize the routine has started to seep into other activities in my life, *cough* caffination.com as one example. Programming is actually worse believe it or not than writing more concentration is needed. So sometimes to name a demon one can more quickly excise it.
First trouble I find myself facing is that I need to set a schedule to write. Bereft of deadlines my normal writing process has been thrown into a tailspin. But thats not what I came to talk to you about today. Today I wanted to shed some light onto my routine.
First off I need music, and the music can’t have words. I’m easily distracted and frankly i start typing the lyrics to the song. I once turned a paper into a philosophy professor, written the night before with a line from a song in the middle of the paragraph. made no sense whats so ever.
- Quite room other than the techno, classical, or blue man group music on in the background.
- Dimly light quarters. Indirect natural light or
- Cold beverage, preferably black coffee.
- I need to be relaxed, alone and well caffeinated.
- Outline, I need to have a general Idea of what i’m going to write, preferably outlined on the wall, I keep ideas taped to the wall, desk or surrounding area when I’m really in the groove.
- I can’t be hungry or too full.
The biggest bugaboo to my writing is that if i get interrupted I might as well throw whatever comes after that right out the window. I need to hear only my voice in my head, I think its because i sound the words out in my head before I write them onto the page.
Frankly I’m feeling a bit weird looking at my oddball habits from an outside perspective. When I get more time I’ll write the full routine out but I was wondering if anyone else had things that had to be just so in order for their creative juices run run. Speaking of Weird I’m listening to a German classical station online right now and the a German language version of The Wind Beneath my Wings just came on… now that is odd. More to come